Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Cocoplum Nut Butter? (Yes, I know it's a seed.)


In my ongoing quest to be the George Washington Carver of cocoplums, I decided I'd make cocoplum nut butter. Of course, I wanted it to be healthful so I used what I thought were healthful ingredients: light olive oil, light salt, honey and my fresh picked and hulled cocoplum seeds. Hulling the seeds is the most time consuming and tedious part of this recipe so I would suggest you do it while watching something entertaining like FLORIDA CRACKERS. (Ha, ha. Get it? Crackers. Cracking the hulls... Then you spread the nut butter on crackers and... Oh... Never mind.)


I treated the cocoplum seeds exactly as though they were peanuts and used a recipe for peanut butter: 

15 oz. of nuts
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons honey
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
(my second batch was made with regular sugar and coconut oil and tasted better)


Blend until it reaches the consistency you prefer. Taste and adjust to your liking. This has a very distinctive, strong flavor and I liked it. I am certain, however, that this will prove to be the kind of nut butter that people either like or hate. My second batch was made with coconut oil and tasted better, but I wanted to share the process of my experiment with you. You could try other oils; try it without sugar; try it with added spices. I'm imagining something along the lines of tahini sauce (made from sesame seeds). I'm not a chef but I hope someone out there who wants to make a name for him /her self starts to experiment with this. Come on. Let's get the ball rolling.


The cocoplum nut butter is really good on crackers and would make unusual and savory hors d'oeuvres.



A sophisticated, grown-up Florida version of peanut butter and jelly, this cocoplum nut butter and cocoplum jam is the ultimate in taste and distinction. Wow.



Using the nut butter the way I would peanut butter, I made these cocoplum nut butter thumbprint cookies. The recipe will be in an upcoming post.

No comments:

Post a Comment